Monday, March 29, 2010

BOBY WINE A MUSIC SENSATION FROM UGANDA



Born on the 12th of February in 1982 in Mpigi District south west of Kampala capital, Bobi Wine was christened Robert Kyagulanyi and joined nine other siblings into the harsh life of ghetto living in Kamwokya, one of the worst slums of Kampala. His childhood life was characterized by moving from one school to another that he lost count. "I could only study for a term before getting expelled for fees. So the only option was to move to another." In secondary school he experienced set backs as his problems became more complicated. "I used to have no money for uniforms and my mother was doing her best to cater for my fees and the family. So I had to go around doing odd jobs like collecting water for money and things like that."
If his problems taught him anything, definitely innovation was one of them."Underground shows with a Walkman, a borrowed amplifier and a speaker was how I used to make ends meet. I would spread the word and after school charge students fifty shillings (less than half dollar) per head and we would jam! I got into trouble with the school administration but that was the way I made my pocket money." By the end of his 'O' levels he had composed many songs but had no money to record. It was one of the most disheartening things in his pursuit of his musical dream."We would listen to the local songs on radio and know we could do better, but the expensive rates would just keep us from recording our numbers. I know of many good artists, some better than I who gave up because it wasn't worth it. It was so frustrating. If you wish to get intouch with Bobi Wine, call +256 752 399999

No comments:

Post a Comment